What do I want to see in our next president? What do we, as a nation, need to see in the next president? Here are the priorities my dream candidate will have.
- Balance the budget. We seriously need to balance the budget - we're printing more money to pay our bills, which is damaging the economy. If we can compromise and balance the budget, we can start working towards prosperity.
- As a more immediate needed action, we need to pass a freaking budget! It shouldn't even be legal for Congress to go more than a year without passing a budget, even an imperfect and unbalanced one. My dream candidate would focus on encouraging Congress to put aside their petty differences and pass a budget. A budget without earmarks, I might add.
- Enforce our current immigration laws. As millions of illegal immigrants enter our nation each year, the toll is seen on both local and state governments, in addition to the federal government. We have immigration laws, no matter how imperfect, but they need to be enforced. Enforce our existing immigration laws, then reform them.
- Lower taxes. Approximately 13% of my paycheck is withheld for federal income taxes. Considering I'm a minimum-wage part-time worker, that's a significant amount for me. Let's ease the burden on the American people by lowering taxes.
- Ease regulations on small businesses. And perhaps also set a precedent for local governments to do the same. How can we lower the unemployment rate if it's too expensive to hire new employees, and too difficult (and expensive) to start your own business? Let's take a common-sense approach to easing the regulations on small businesses.
- Encourage competition between telecom monopolies. You knew this one was coming! I would like my dream candidate to support the idea of splitting up telecom giants to encourage competition, and to set up rewards for telecom start-ups. Innovation will speed up again once there's more competition and therefore more incentive to improve infrastructure and technology.
- Support Israel. Israel is our strongest ally in the Middle East, and an important nation in its own right. Anti-semitism and violence against the Jews will turn into another World War if we don't help them stay strong.
- Support legislation that will bring jobs back to America. We've lost so many jobs to other countries, such as China, India, and Mexico; we need to do what we can to make America a more attractive place to do business. Certain things already on this list, such as balancing the budget, lowering taxes, and easing regulations will help this goal a lot.